For those of you who don’t live in Australia or New Zealand, and may not know what Anzac Day is about, it is a day of remembrance where we commemorate all the Australian and New Zealand soldiers who served and died in both World Wars. There are quite a few traditions held on this day, such as dawn parades and it is always nice to see everyone wearing poppy pins. So, with Anzac Day drawing near, I thought it was time to make a few Anzac biscuits in commemoration of this day. The recipe I used to make these follows the traditional method but it also has a little added sweetness, and who doesn’t love chocolate on cookies? 😉 Let’s get started!
You Will Need:
- 100g Butter, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
- 1 1/2 Cups Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup Dessicated Coconut
- 1 Cup Plain Flour
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Caster Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Bicarbonate Of Soda
- 2 Tablespoons Boiling Water
- 150g Chocolate of your choice
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 165 degrees Celcius. Line 2 trays with baking paper.
- Heat butter and golden syrup in a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, place oats, coconut, flour and both sugars into a large bowl and stir to combine.
- When the butter and syrup mixture has come to a simmer, combine boiling water and baking soda in a small bowl (stir well). Add the baking soda mixture to the butter mixture, making sure to get all of the baking soda into the butter, it will begin to froth.
- Add the frothing liquid to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Roll mixture into 20 balls (about the size of a golf ball) and place on the lined trays, leaving a space between each ball to allow for spreading. Flatten the balls slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, swapping the trays on racks after 14 minutes. Rmove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes on the tray to firm up slightly before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the biscuits are cool, melt the chocolate in a microwave on a medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring every minute.
- Place the wire rack over one of the trays, and drizzle the chocolate back and forth over the biscuits. Place in the fridge to set.
You can find the original recipe here.
I really hope you enjoy this recipe and I would love to see your creations as well!