As you all know, one of my favourite things to bake are cupcakes, so I thought it was only fitting to make some brightly iced cupakes to celebrate the beginning of Spring. I would love to be one of those people that can pipe beautiful, delicate flowers on the top of their baking creations, but for now the basic swirled icing is the best I can create, which works perfectly fine for me 🙂 Let’s get started!
You Will Need:
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
For The Icing:
- 175g Unsalted Butter
- 350g Icing Sugar
- Food Colouring of your choice
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celcius. Place cupcake cases in a muffin tray.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir together the vanilla and the milk.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and mix well after each addition. Alternate the addition of the flour mixture and the milk mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cupcakes spring back when touched.
- Allow cupcakes to cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While your cupcakes are cooling, you can begin to make your icing, beat your butter until it’s pale, light and fluffy.
- Beat in your icing sugar, followed by a teaspoon or two of boiling water to soften and lighten the texture of the buttercream.
- If you are using more than one colour, separate your butter cream into 2 or 3 bowls.
- Add a few drops of fooc colouring to each bowl and mix until it forms a solid colour.
- Using a piping bag, swirl the icing on top of each cooled cupcake and decorate with cupcake toppings of your choice.
I hope you enjoy these cupcakes and I would love to see how yours turn out as well 🙂