As I have shared Christmas recipe ideas, decor and diys, I thought it only right to share my top ten list of Christmas movies to snuggle down and watch throughout December. There are so many Christmas movies that I adore but I decided to go with the ones that I have actually gone out and bought over the past year, as I have watched them so many times. This list is in no particular order as there is no way I could choose a number one favourite. Let’s get started!
- Arthur Christmas follows the story of Arthur, Santa’s clumsy son with a big heart full of love for all things Christmas. After finding out that one child has been missed, Arthur is terrified that it will ruin the magic of Christmas for one little girl and begins his own journey with Grandsanta, a young elf and an old sleigh in tow to deliver the present himself and save Christmas. This is a feel good movie full of excitement and fun, it definitely will leave you full of Christmas joy.
- A Christmas Carol follows the story of Ebenezer Scrooge, a man who hates everything about Christmas and joy and whose favourite saying is ‘Bah Humbug’. On the night of Christmas Eve he is visited by the ghosts of past, present and future, who teach him the true meaning of Christmas, causing Scrooge to change his feelings about Christmas and fill his life with joy.
- A Christmas Story follows the story of 9 year old Ralphie, whose one Christmas wish is to recieve a Red Rider BB Gun. After trying to convince his mother, his teacher and even the mean Santa at his local department store, the only answer Ralphie has recieved is “you’ll shoot your eye out”. You see the ups and downs of being a nine year old around Christmas time in the 1940’s, including seeing Ralphie uttering the dreaded ‘f’ word in front of his father and witnessing a friend getting his tongue stuck to the frozen flag pole. As morning arrives on Christmas Day, Ralphie opens so many lovely gifts, including a gift from his aunt that his mother adores. But will he recieve his single Christmas wish?
- Four Holidays follows the story of happily unmarried Brad and Kate, whose only plans for the holidays is to jump on a plane to avoid spending time with their divorced parents. When they arrive at the airport, however, a thick fog causes all flights to be cancelled, sending Brad and Kate on the worst Christmas of their lives. This is a movie filled with laughs and Christmas cheer, proving that although your family may drive you crazy, Christmas just wouldnt be the same without them.
- Fred Claus follows the story of Fred, Santa Claus’ brother, a grumpy man who has lost all belief in Christmas after being forced to grow up in his younger brothers shadow. One Christmas, after needing to borrow money from his brother, Fred travels to the North Pole to discover that Nick is in some trouble of his own. This is a heartwarming movie, filled with laughs as you watch Fred save Christmas and realise that family is the best gift he will ever recieve.
- The Holiday follows the stories of Iris and Amanda, two complete opposites who both want nothing more than to escape their daily lives over the Christmas period. By chance, they both meet online and impulsively switch homes, sending Amanda to a cosy cottage in England and Iris to a huge Hollywood estate. As they settle in to living in a brand new country, they both find new romances and have experiences that will change the way they look at life, forever.
- Home Alone 1 & 2 follows the story of 8 year old Kevin McCallister, who makes a wish that his family would disappear one night and wakes up the following morning to discover that he has been accidentally left behind after his family goes on Christmas vacation. While he’s home alone, 2 burgulars are trying to break in, so Kevin gets to decorating the house with hilarious booby traps that will have you smiling through the whole movie. Home Alone 2 also follows the story of Kevin, except this time he is in New York. What Kevin doesn’t know is that the Wet Bandits are also in New York, seeking their revenge. After their attempts to get him back, Kevin sets up an astounding amount of booby traps all over New York to stop the Wet Bandits once again.
- How The Grinch Stole Christmas follows the story of The Grinch, a grumpy, green , hairy creature who lives inside a cave on top of Mount Crumpit overlooking Whoville. The Grinch absolutely hates Christmas, so when Whoville begisn to set up for Christmas time, The Grinch decides to put a stop to it for good. He invents a contraption to steal all of their presents and decorations on the night of Christmas Eve only to discover that the true meaning of Christmas is about more than gifts. This is a heartwarming movie filled with joy and laughter, based on the book by Dr. Suess.
- Love Actually follows the stories of ten people discovering the joys and downfalls of relationships in the weeks leading up to Christmas. It explores the lives of boyfriends & girlfriends, fathers & sons, husbands & wives and stars & managers to give you so many different points of view on the aspect of love with all of the characters being connected in some way in the end. It is a magical movie filled with love and laughter and even a few tears, making it the perfect Christmas movie for any kind of person.
- The Polar Express follows the story of a young boy who no longer believes in the magic of Christmas. Jump on board and watch as The Polar Express travels up mountains, slips over ice and hot chocolate is served by singing-dancing waiters, all the way to the North Pole. Watch a young boy make new friends, and discover the true magic of Christmas once more. This movie is perfect for Christmas Eve and is a feel good end to the Christmas countdown, filled with magic and joy.
What are your favourite Christmas movies? 🙂